6.18.2010

"Eat My Blog" Charity Bakesale! Saturday, June 19 @ Tender Greens, WeHo

It's time to blow your no-carb diet for a good cause. The Eat My Blog food blogger bake sale is tomorrow – Saturday, June 19 – at Tender Greens in West Hollywood. I spent most of today baking for the event, making coconut cupcakes with cream cheese & coconut icing, vanilla & almond cupcakes, and finally, triple fudge walnut brownies. To say that my house smelled like chocolate and vanilla and coconut heaven is an understatement.

While *I* won't be at the bake sale tomorrow because I'll be celebrating my friend's bridal shower – no worries, I dropped off the goods earlier tonight – my cupcakes and brownies WILL be there. Here's my experience during my own personal Friday bake-off. If you do hit Tender Greens, check out my treats. They're made from scratch and all go to a good cause! Recipes can be found below.

Little Charlie was on cupcake and brownie duty all day :)

My vanilla & almond cupcakes, hot out of the oven.

I piped homemade cream cheese icing in circular patterns. Wanted to keep it simple.

But then I added some edible gold sugar. Bling!

Here are absolutely delicious coconut cupcakes...one of my favorite recipes (see below).

I couldn't resist adding some gold sparkles to the coconut either! What can I say...sparkles make everything better.

I crafted "Pardon My Crumbs" signs

Not to mention display signs for each of my sweet treats...

Here are the cupcakes...all ready to go!
Now for the coconut cupcake recipe (don't forget the brownies; recipe is below). To modify the coconut cupcakes and make them vanilla & almond cupcakes, simply omit the coconut from both the cupcakes and the frosting. Done and done!

Coconut Cupcakes
  • 3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 5 extra-large eggs at room temperature
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pure almond extract
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 14 ounces sweetened, shredded coconut
For the frosting:
  • 1 pound cream cheese at room temperature
  • 3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
  • 1 1/2 pounds confectioners' sugar, sifted
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and mix well.

In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In 3 parts, alternately add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the batter, beginning and ending with the dry. Mix until just combined. Fold in 7 ounces of coconut.

Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Fill each liner to the top with batter. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until the tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove to a baking rack and cool completely.

Meanwhile, make the frosting. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, on low speed, cream together the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla and almond extracts. Add the confectioners' sugar and mix until smooth. Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle with the remaining coconut.

Triple Fudge & Walnut Brownies
Now...I simply can't forget the brownies...this is one of THE best brownie recipes ever. Hands down.


Close up of the brownies...

All packed and ready to go!
Here is the brownie recipe. Courtesy of Ina Garten with my own touches added to it. These will knock your friend's and family's socks off.

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound unsalted butter
  • 1 pound plus 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chipse
  • 6 extra-large eggs
  • 1/3 cup espresso coffee
  • 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
  • 2 1/4 cups sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 3 cups chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 12 x 18 x 1-inch baking sheet. Melt together the butter, 1 pound of chocolate chips, and the unsweetened chocolate in a medium bowl over simmering water. Allow to cool slightly. In a large bowl, stir (do not beat) together the eggs, coffee granules, vanilla, and sugar. Stir the warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and allow to cool to room temperature.

In a medium bowl, sift together 1 cup of flour, the baking powder, and salt. Add to the cooled chocolate mixture. Toss the walnuts and 12 ounces of chocolate chips in a medium bowl with 1/4 cup of flour, then add them to the chocolate batter. Pour into the baking sheet.

Bake for 20 minutes, then rap the baking sheet against the oven shelf to force the air to escape from between the pan and the brownie dough. Bake for about 15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not overbake! Allow to cool thoroughly, refrigerate, and cut into 20 large squares.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Christie, I stopped by Eat My Blog, and I did purchase your cupcakes, Both delicious, but the vanilla almond was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shondra - Thanks for supporting the bake sale and buying my cupcakes! So glad you enjoyed them. I love the vanilla almond, too...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails