4.06.2011

Give Your Guacamole The Grill Treatment


Every cook has their "foolproof" recipe. You know, a go-t0 recipe that is sure to please a couple at an intimate dinner party or a Super Bowl party for 20. My playbook includes rockstar guacamole recipe that calls for avocados, tomatoes, garlic, onion, lime, cilantro, a few splashes of hot sauce, and salt and pepper. That's it. It's not the simplest of guacamoles, but it's a winner every time.

How can we make this taco better? Add grilled guacamole!
Two nights ago Bryan and I had just gotten back from Las Vegas -- mostly business for me, mostly pleasure for him -- and we wanted an easy homecooked dinner. We went with steak tacos, knowing we could throw some meat and corn tortillas on the grill, top it with chopped onions and cilantro and call it done. That sounded great by itself, but I upped the ante and chopped up some homemade pico de gallo. Then Bryan said, "If you're going to make pico de gallo, maybe you could make guacamole, too?" How can I say no to an adorable man who loves my guacamole more than most things in life? Especially when he picks up the puppy and pretends to have Charlie ask for the guacamole?

Throw Your Avocados on the Grill & Thank Me Later.

I was suckered in, but I was inspired by the grill. I threw a jalapeño, slices of sweet onion and halved cloves of garlic on the grill for a few minutes. No salt or pepper. The veggies were naked. When they got some nice grill marks, I chopped them up and added them to a small bowlful of chopped tomato, cilantro and lime juice. Then I halved the avocado, sprinkled it with salt and pepper and threw it face down on the grill. After about 2 minutes the avocado was sporting gorgeous grill marks, and I spooned it out into the bowl, mashing it ever so slightly into the other ingredients (keeping the integrity of the chunks). As a finishing touch, I threw in a few dashes of jalapeño hot sauce and the guac was done. Up until then, my signature guacamole had never been given the grill treatment, but I'm so glad I did it! Grilling the veggies gave the jalapeño and the onion a slight smokiness while mellowing out the garlic's bite. The heat made the avocado almost silky and incredibly easy to mash. Not to mention, the grill marks were a lovely touch.

Never grilled your guac? Try it out and share with your tips below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails